RAVE-O - June 2023
Thank you for signing up for our workshop RAVE-O.
We will send you further information closer to the time.
Presented by Multidisciplinary Bellavista Team
RAVE-O (Reading through Automaticity, Vocabulary, Engagement and Orthography) is a literacy programme based on the science of the brain and reading. It is an evidenced based intervention for learners struggling to read in Grades 1 to 5 and has shown to be effective across socio-economic, cultural and home language backgrounds.
This workshop will illuminate the neurological underpinnings of the programme, providing insight into the reading brain and the strategies proven to improve literacy. It doesn’t include the RAVE-O materials, which are available to purchase through an independent supplier.
Venue: Bellavista School, 35 Wingfield Ave, Birdhaven, JHB
Date: 07 & 08 June 2023
Time: 08h30–15h30 (Registration 08h00)
Bellavista SHARE is a SACE Provider: 11363
12 HPCSA CPD points applied for & SACE allocates 15 points
MORE ABOUT RAVE-O
RAVE-O is an evidence based, researched reading intervention programme
- a one-of-a-kind, small group reading intervention programme that targets reading challenges through new research on fluency
- unique cutting edge instruction that develops and explicitly connects every aspect of a word as it is encountered -phonemes, meanings, morphemes, grammatical functions and spelling patterns
- interactive, multisensory activities that enhance learners’ abilities to decode, read fluently, understand, remember, and enjoy what they read
- a program that inspires learners to gain renewed self-confidence in their learning and a new love of language
Who is RAVE-O for?
- have phoneme awareness-related decoding difficulties, fluency deficits, and/or rapid naming deficits
- are struggling readers who are also learning English
- have spelling difficulties
An overall increase in reading ability, as instruction first builds accuracy and then fluency with increasingly more complex texts
Expanding language knowledge and thinking about all aspects of words from phoneme awareness and spelling to vocabulary meanings, morphemes, and grammatical functions
Daily, incremental successes that lead to increased confidence, improved self-esteem and motivation
Engagement and interaction that provide highly successful fun-filled experiences with language and reading
RAVE-O consists of 16 units, with 3 to 6 lessons per unit
Every session in every RAVE-O unit has multisensory activities and Minute Stories that are designed to strengthen the attention and memory of struggling readers creatively and with novelty
The overall progress within a unit moves from accuracy to fluency to fluid comprehension
The first purpose of each unit is to introduce a group of Core Words and to study these intensely. Core Words serve as the foundation for learners to understand how English works morphologically. All Core words have common letter patterns in English, at least 2 or 3 possible meanings, and at least 2 grammatical functions
The more a learner knows about a word, the faster a word can be decoded, retrieved, and a comprehended.
Assessments That Document Progress
- After completion of units 4, 9 and 16, the RAVE-O programme includes assessments that indicate learners are progressing with regards to acquiring accuracy, fluency and comprehension.
- Results are recorded and discussed with parents / teachers
- A formal assessment document is provided to parents/ teachers